Forum

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

NorthAms APDA Meeting Minutes

The following items were discussed at the North American Debating Championship APDA Meeting.

First, Villanova sought an exemption from the fine imposed by section 5.08D of the bylaws, "Tournaments not providing dinner or lunch will be fined $10 per team per meal not provided. Tournaments not providing breakfast will be fined $5 per team." The board approved an exception prior to the meeting, consistent with "Tournaments may appeal to the board for an exemption to this fee one (1) week in advance of their tournament." The body approved of the the board's decision, as per "In the event that the board grants the exemption, the decision must be brought to a vote at the next meeting of the body. The decision of the board may be overturned by a two-thirds vote of the body, in which case the tournament would be retroactively required to pay the fine described above."

Second, George Washington University and Wellesley College requested that their tournament weekend be designated a gender minority tournament, per section 5.09D of the bylaws. The body approved this request, and George Washington University and Wellesley College's on April 19th-20th are now gender minority tournaments.

Third, the body approved of a schedule for the 2019-2020 season, which can be found here.

Fourth, Harold Washington College requested that the body sanction their tournament on April 5th-6th. The body approved this request.

Fifth, the body discussed an amendment by Alison Chan of the University of Pittsburgh to amend section 5.09C(7) of the bylaws from "(7) Winning a sanctioned APDA tournament hosted by a school that (a) has hosted a tournament in one or more of two consecutive years prior to this year, (b) has not hosted a tournament with more than 32 teams in attendance for one year prior to this year, and (c) has fewer than 5 other active APDA members within 200 miles of its main campus’s zipcode." to "(7) Winning a sanctioned APDA tournament hosted by a school that (a) has hosted a tournament in one or more of two consecutive years prior to this year, (b) has not hosted a tournament with more than 32 teams in attendance for one year prior to this year, and (c) has fewer than 5 other active APDA members within 175 driving miles of its main campus's zipcode." The body approved this amendment.

Sixth, the body discussed a petition by Leah Block, a debater currently enrolled at NYU but no longer affiliated with NYU's team, to change her affiliation to CUNY consistent with section 5.08B, "The body is authorized to grant exemptions to enable debaters to debate for schools at which they are not primarily enrolled. Exemptions must be approved by a two-thirds secret vote of the body. An exemption so ratified by the body can be granted to debaters who are primarily enrolled in a member institution of APDA and are requesting to change affiliation." The body approved of Leah's reaffiliation.

Unfortunately, due to my error, the first vote on Leah's reaffiliation was not secret, which we realized during the NorthAms banquet. The board consulted with the trustees and determined that an APDA meeting should be held the next day to conduct another vote. We held a meeting the next day, and the secret vote was for reaffiliation.

Seventh, the body discussed an amendment by Claire McMahon Fishman of Brown to amend section 5.09C, which currently reads, "(2) Advancing to the quarterfinal round or being one of the two highest-ranking teams from the United States at the North American Debate Championship during that season; (3) Advancing to elimination rounds, or to English as a Second or Foreign language finals, at the World Universities Debating Championship during that season; (4) Advancing to the final round or being one of the two highest-ranking teams from the United States at the North American Universities British Parliamentary Debating Championship; or (5) Advancing to the semifinal round at the Yale IV; or (6) advancing to the final round at the Brandeis Intervarsity tournament" to read "(2) Advancing to the semifinal round or being one of the two highest-ranking teams from the United States at the North American Debate Championship during that season; (3) Advancing to the octofinal round at the World Universities Debating Championship during that season; [...] or (5) Advancing to the final round at the Yale IV; or (6) Winning the Brandeis Intervarsity tournament." Based on a temperature check, this amendment did not have enough support to pass at the APDA meeting, and discussion was tabled to the Princeton APDA Meeting.

Hey, I don't want to be a pain, but when referring to the amendment I proposed/me generally in the future, could you please use my full name (Claire McMahon Fishman)? I totally recognize it's a super recent change, but it is important to me to be referred to this way.

Yup!