Forum

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

AU Proams

AUDS Welcomes you to IsaacWorld, aka AU Proams 2018!

Basic Information
AU ProAms (November 9-10th) will be loose-linked and opp-flex, with five in-rounds breaking to octos or partial octos, whichever get’s us closest to breaking all 4-1s. We reserve the right to change this information based on sign-ups. Housing and food will be provided at no charge. Teams will be allotted two discretionary judge scratches. The top ten novice and varsity speakers will be given speaker awards that honor everything Isaac Klipstein.

Tab
Jared Stone will be Tab Director. We will be using NU Tab to run the tournament. The link for pairings for preliminary rounds will be posted closer to the tournament. A full tab policy will be posted shortly, along with the name of our TO. Open adjudication is required, including an RFD, speaker points, and ranks.

Judges
We will be strictly enforcing the (n-1)/2 judge requirement. Teams that cannot furnish judges will be charged a fee of $50 per missing judge. The restraining factor for this tournament will be the number of judges, so should we not have enough, we will not hesitate to break up teams, starting with teams that have not met their requirement. We are serious about this guys, we will need all of the judges we can get. In the case that a team is broken up, that school will be refunded for each new judge.

Housing
Crash housing is available. Please indicate in your registration your team's housing requirements, including any special considerations that must be made (i.e. gender segregation, etc.). Campus policy requires those staying in campus housing to have an photo ID to check in and will have to sign in with an AU student when entering dorms. We can also provide housing on Thursday and Saturday if teams need it, but please let us know right away.

Food
Friday night dinner will be pizza, Saturday morning breakfast will be bagels and coffee, and Saturday lunch will be assorted Subway sandwiches. In order for us accommodate any dietary restrictions, please email us and indicate all dietary restrictions.

Equity
Our tournament’s equity officers will be announced at a later date. Equity officers and policies are in place to insure the safety and comfort of all those involved in our tournament. Please check back for the specific equity policy forthcoming.

Scratches
Pursuant to the goal of an equitable and safe tournament, we are expanding the standard tab scratch policy.

Tab scratches will be afforded to any team/individual that can articulate a strong reason why another individual could not judge them in a fair way. Additionally, individuals who are judging may submit tab scratches against competitors if the judge believes they could not judge teams or individuals fairly, or would feel unsafe doing so. Both a list of competitors and a list of judges will be provided no later than Thursday. Criteria that can lead to a tab scratch include but are in no way limited to, past sexual or romantic encounters, strong friendships, significant interpersonal conflict (such a physical altercations), debt obligations, previous equity concerns, and/or OTY-biases.

Tab scratches may be given to the Tab Director, Equity Officer, or Tournament Director in person or via electronic communication (text or email). Our contact information can be found below.

Registration
AU ProAms will be pay-to-play. The price will be $125/team, or $100/team for those traveling long distances, specifically coming from north of New York City and south of Virginia, or anywhere West of the Mississippi. We will be charging an additional 20% fee on any debt still owed to AU by the close of registration. Further reg breaks and swaps will be considered on a case-by-case basis, because our team is revenue reliant. We will not be allowing any teams in substantial debt to the AU team to compete at ProAms without proof of processed payment for previous debts.

Registration will be due by 11:59 PM Monday, November 5th, please fill out ALL the google forms.

Schedule
Friday November 3rd
4:00PM – Registration Opens
5:00 PM – Registration Closes
5:30 PM – Round 1
6:45 PM - Dinner
8:00 PM – Round 2
9:30 PM – Round 3

Saturday November 4th
8:30 AM – Breakfast
9:30 AM – Round 4
11:00 AM – Round 5
12:30 PM – Lunch and Awards
1:30 PM – Octafinals
3:00 PM – Quarterfinals
4:30 PM – Semifinals
5:30 PM- Finals
6:30 PM- Awards

Address
4400 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington DC. 20016

Parking
The first’s address is 4900 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington, DC 20016 and is about a five minute walk to GA and the second can be found at 4300 Fordham Rd NW, Washington, DC 20016. This one is directly across the street from GA and can be found by turning on Fordham Ave when it connects to Mass Ave. It is then on your right.
General Assembly
Kerwin Hall, Basement Level Rooms 1 and 2. These are the same rooms they always are. Kerwin hall is located on the corner of Massachusetts ave and Nebraska ave, near ward circle.

Directions
By Car
From northeast of Washington (New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore): Follow I-95 south to I-495 west toward Silver Spring. (See “From I-495” below.)
From northwest of Washington (Western PA, western MD): Follow I-270 south. Where I-270 divides, follow the right-hand branch toward northern Virginia. (Do not take the branch toward Washington.) Merge with I-495 (Capital Beltway). (See “From I-495” below.)
From south or west of Washington (northern VA, Norfolk, Richmond, Charlottesville): Follow I-95 north or I-66 east to I-495 (Capital Beltway). Take I-495 north toward Silver Spring. (See “From I-495” below.)
From I-495(Capital Beltway): Take exit 39 and follow the signs for River Road (MD Route 190) east toward Washington. Continue east on River Road to the fifth traffic light. Turn right onto Goldsboro Road (MD Route 614). At the first traffic light, turn left onto Massachusetts Avenue NW (MD Route 396). Continue on Massachusetts Avenue NW through the first traffic circle (Westmoreland Circle). Continue on Massachusetts Ave. About a block further you will see the parking and the building will be in sight.

By Plane
Washington’s Ronald Reagan National Airport—the airport most convenient to AU—is approximately 30 minutes from campus during rush hour by cab. Washington Metro (subway) trains run daily from National Airport into downtown Washington on the yellow or blue lines. Transfer to the red line at Gallery Place station or Metro Center station in the direction of Shady Grove (Tenleytown/AU station). Dulles International Airport is about 45 minutes from campus and Thurgood Marshall Baltimore/Washington International Airport is about one hour from campus. All three airports offer shuttle services to major hotels and meeting points in downtown Washington. Shuttle services cost between $15 and $40 one way, depending on your point of origin.

By Train and Subway
Amtrak trains regularly arrive in Washington at Union Station, as do MARC trains. Washington Metro (subway) trains run Monday through Thursday from 5 a.m. until midnight, Friday from 5 a.m. until 3 a.m., Saturday from 7 a.m. until 3 a.m. and Sunday from 7 a.m. until midnight. The closest Metro stop to American University is Tenleytown/AU on the red line.

Shuttle Bus
AU provides a free shuttle from the Tenleytown/AU Metro stop to campus. Directions to the shuttle are posted at the Metro. At the Metro station, take the escalator and exit to the east, which is on your left (look for the sign directing you to the AU Shuttle stop). Once at street level, the shuttle stop is just a few yards ahead near the intersection of 40th Street and Albemarle Street, by the bus stop in front of the Sears/Whole Foods. The shuttle runs on a continuous loop and departs every ten minutes. HOWEVER, you can only take the red line route if you want to go to the spring valley building. The blue line does NOT go to the Spring Valley Building. The line will be labeled in the front window of each bus. It will be a 15-20 minute shuttle ride to get there.